A selection of recent media coverage
- Tradepress: 'beyond the security vs. privacy debate' October 2013 Read Article
- Brussels Diplomatic Afghanistan: prospects and challenges ahead' September 2013 Read Article
- The Parliament 'EU urged to show long-term support for Afghanistan' September 2013 Read Article
- Holyrood 'War of words' October 2012 Read Article
- Holyrood 'EU membership could ease fears of UK withdrawal' October 2012 Read Article
- Deutsche Welle 'EU can't send troops but can help Syrian refugees' October 2012 Read Article
- Defense News 'NATO Considers Process To Harmonize Defense Procurement' May 2012 Read Article
- Public Service Europe 'Protecting Europe from cyber-attacks - Costly but vital' May 2012 Read Article
- PublicService.co.uk 'Cyber attacks can be costly to prevent May 2012 Read article
- EUobserver 'EU cyber-security legislation on the horizon' May 2012 Read Article
- Tech2 'India takes fifth spot in cyber-crime affected nations' Read Article
- IBN Live 'India 5th among cyber crime affected countries' May 2012 Read Article
- Security Europe 'Security Jam project provides recommendations for EU civil security' May 2012 Read Article
- Defense News 'Hollande to reassure allies on Afghan plans: Analysts' May 2012 Read Article
- Defense News 'EU Officials Argue Against Global Cyberspace Treaty' May 2012 Read Article
- Voice of America 'NATO ministers review US, French Plans to End Afghanistan Combat Role' February 2012 Read article
- Financial Times 'Israel, Finland and Sweden top for computer security' January 2012 Read Article
- BBC 'Israel tops cyber-readiness poll but China lags behind' Read Article
- MSNBC Technolog 'Defending virtual borders in age of cyberwar' Read Article
- CNN Security Clearance 'Government not keeping pace with cyber threats' Read Article
- IndoLink 'India: 5th Rank in Cyber Affected Countries' Read article
- Haaretz 'Israel's cyber defense among the world's best, new study shows' Read Article
- Times of India 'India ill-prepared for cyber attacks: Survey' Read Article
- Defence News 'EU to establish defence policy task' Read Article
- Defence News 'Poland plays down pooling and sharing' Read Article
- Public Service Europe 'The west faces a new military age: Europe must adapt' Read Article
- Hurriyet Daily News - 'Arab Spring triggered problems that Turkey can’t solve on its own' - An interview with Giles Merritt, SDA's Director - 23 September 2011- Read Article
- The Wall Street Journal - NATO strikes show Europe defence dilemma - Read Article
- Deutsche Welle – Giles Merritt's comments on NATO’s role in Libya – 23 August 2011 –Video
- The SDA lunch discussion on "how airline passenger data helps combat terrorism and fight serious crime", co-organised with the United States Mission to the European Union has attracted attention from The Wall Street Journal, The Parliament
- Deutsche Welle - Interview with SDA director Giles Merritt on the situation in Libya on 13. April Download MP3
- Deutsche Welle - The to-be or not-to-be of NATO in Libya. Read Article.
- Greenews - European green bonds could fund the protection of energy infrastructures. Read Article.
- Verkkouutiset - Less than half of the EU member states have the necessary contingency measures against cyberthreats. Read Article.
- EurActiv - Fernando Sanchez-Gomez, director of the Spanish Interior Ministry's National Centre for the Protection of Critical Infrastructure and Jean-Arnold Vinois, head of the European Commission's energy policy unit, have been referenced speaking at an SDA roundtable on cyber-threats to energy security. Read Article
- Foreign Policy - With NATO's New Strategic Concept due in November, Foreign Policy has used Lynn's comments to illustrate potential disagreements within the alliance on cyberdefence policy. Read Article
- EUObserver - The EUObserver has referenced William J. Lynn's visit and debate with the SDA as part of a wider assesment of cyber-strike capabilities in Europe. Read Article
- Globalpost - The future of transatlantic co-operation in a time of fiscal retrenchment has been discussed, with SDA Director Giles Merritt painting a gloomy picture of a Europe whoes military capabilties will continue to lag behind that of the US. Read Article
- The SDA's groundbreaking experiment, the online Security Jam, has continued to attract media and academic attention. Online references include; New York Times, PR Newswire, Examiner.com, Nextgov, Today's Zaman, Federal News Radio and Le Soir.
The Jam has also been mentioned in the following blogs; Mike Hitchen Online, Kevin Townsend, A Smarter Planet Blog, Todd Watson and Public Affairs 2.0.
- Defensesystems - Cyberdefence now constitutes the frontline of national defence, said participants at the recent SDA event on cybersecurity. Read Article
- The New New Internet- Jamie Shea has called cyber-security the fifth dimension of warfare, after air, land, sea and space. Read Article
DefenseNews - How does the strategic community assess the risks posed by cyber attacks on military systems? This article summarizes the main conclusions of the SDA debate on cyber security on March 22. Read Article
- Al Jazeera - Building on the conclusions of the joint SDA, British Council and NATO Conference on March 2, Al Jazeera's Anand Naidoo interviews Robin Davies and George Gachara about the further implications of cultural variables in the context of conflict resolution and prevention.
- DW-World.De - The role of trust and culturual relations in Afghanistan is examined, with reference to the recent SDA conference on this topic.
- Spanish First Vice President of the Government, María Teresa Fernández de la Vega, has used the SDA's recent event on womens rights in conflict to launch a Europe wide campaign to raise the profile of gender issues in defence and security policy.
Her comments have been referenced by The Parliament, Reuters Global News Journal , Le Courier Du Vietnam, Euroalert.com and Svenska Dagbladet.
- Anders Fogh Rasmussen and Catherine Ashton were amongst the events participants, receiving references in Le Cerca, El Confidencial and Acktulne.
- SDA Director Giles Merritt has contributed to an article discussing the recent US decision to increase security screening for inbound passengers from 14 "at risk" terrorism linked countries.
- In this article published in the French newspaper Ouest France, Nicolas Gros-Verheyde interviews Giles Merritt on the political implications of the Lisbon Treaty.
Article in French only.
- Globalpost - Giles Merritt offers his insight on the implications of the Nabucco agreement, highlighting Turkey’s reluctant cooperation with Europe and his continued belief that the project is an important step towards a comprehensive European energy strategy that will increase solidarity and self-reliance. Read Article
- The Telegraph (UK) - Giles Merritt, Director of the Security and Defence Agenda, explains the questionmarks over the "Nabucco" pipeline project and comments on the EU-Turkey agreement.
- DefenseNews - Speaking at a Security & Defence Agenda debate in Brussels, Ivo Daalder - the new U.S. Ambassador to NATO - said that NATO has three future priorities and those are Afghanistan, Russia and a "new NATO fit for a new century.''
- Financial Times - The Director of Security and Defence Agenda, Giles Merritt, has been recently selected as one of the FT's 30 EuroStars. Eurostars are the 30 most influential people in policy and legislation in Brussels, both in public and behind the scenes.
- EU Observer - Valentina Pop cites speakers from the SDA's May 25th debate on energy security in Europe in her recent article assessing the EU-Russia relationship in light of energy security and the prospects for Ukrainian gas storage.
- EU Observer - Valentina Pop goes back to the remarks made by Gilles de Kerchove at the Security & Defence Agenda's Lunch Debate entitled "Lessons of Mumbai, re-evaluating counterterrorism policies in Europe", held on the 11th of May. Read Article
Europolitics - Nicolas Gros-Verheyde interviews Giles Merritt on the evolution of ESDP and his vision of the future of European defence.
Read Article - EN FR
- EU Observer - SDA Director Giles Merritt comments on the likelihood of a fully open European defence market.
- DefenseNews - NATO and the European Union need to work more effectively toward defense technology cooperation because current military committee meetings aren't producing "much added value to the capability process," Norwegian Rear Adm. Jorgen Berrgrav of NATO's Allied Command Transformation said at an SDA event, May 5.